Church Hall

St. Andrew's

Church Hall

A hall for the community

Available to hire

The St. Andrew's Church Hall on Manor Road is available to hire for local groups, events and parties. Regular users of the hall include the local Brownies, a weekly table top sale and a short mat bowls club as well as many others.

Whether you are looking for a one off event or a more regular hire we'd love to discuss your requirements.

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat."

- Insert Review

"Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat."

- Insert Review

Facilities

The Church Hall car park is available to all users of the church and hall during hire.

The use of tables and chairs is included in your hire, the large open-plan space is free of any pillars and can be set up in many different ways for your group or event.

The onsite kitchen is suitable for the preparation of meals, party food or just light refreshments.

There are no steps to access the building and disabled toilet facilities are available within the hall.

Location

St. Andrew's Church Hall, 12 Manor Road, Burnham-On-Sea, Somerset. TA8 2AS

For more infomation, or to hire the hall, please get in touch.

Contact The Parish Administrator

Read more: Church Hall

  • Hits: 526

To Do

TO DO

Add & Remove from this list the things that need to be done to complete the site

Details of the Sunday/Thursday Services.

links to the latest news articles etc.

Remove Graham’s name

'What St. Andrew’s means to me…’  
Cycle through one line quotes from different members of the church with their picture beside it.

Keep Sharron's into text.

Get St. Andrew's related images and replace generics

Get intros from readers

  • LANDING PAGE
  • Edithmead

Contact groups and ensure content is correct

Register domain

Create Church billing account with 1&1

Domain Transfer

Create Users

Create Manual

SEO

Analytics Setup

Read more: To Do

  • Hits: 523

Incumbents

Previous
Incumbents

of St. Andrew's Church, Burnham-on-Sea

Rectors

Between 1174 and 1192

Martin Pateshelle

Between 1192 and 1205

Jordan

Between 1248 and 1264

Walter de Vyenne

Between 1248 and 1264

Richard de Bamfield

Between 1244 and 1292

Walkelin

By 1279

Thomas (or Richard) de Staunford (or Stanford)

In 1279 or 1280

Thomas Stede (alias Thomas de Axebrigg)

By 1306

Sir Henry de Corston

Vicars

1334

Sir John de Burford

1349

William le Riche

1349

John Jene

1409

Thomas Frome Canon of Wells

1410

Gilbert Capland (formerly Rector of Sarum)

1444

John Haydon

1448

Richard Swan

1458

John Pedewel

1466

Richard Hayne

1486

John Hylle (Canon Res. of Wells)

1490

Richard Pomeroy

1524

Robert Tunby L.L.B.

1532

Walter Hooper A.B.

1538

Jacob Bayley

1543

Christopher Webster

1554

John Nosehar

1558

John Wyet.

Christopher Helm

1570

George Carrante A.M.

1597

Paul Godwin A.B.

1604

William Taylour

1660

Robert Collier A.M.

1680

John Bower A.M.

1727

Robert Creighton A.M.

1732

William Harris A.B.

1743

Christopher Tachell

1752

Richard Olive

1760

Richard Jenkins

1768

John Golden

1799

Walter King D.D. Bishop of Rochester

1827

Charles Henry Pulsford Canon Res. of Wells

1841

Frederick Fleming Beadon A.M.

1850

Theophilius Williams

1867

Theodore Crane Dupuis M.A. Prebendary of Wells

1914

Roger Hayes Robinson M.A. Prebendary of Wells

1918

Geoffrey Procher M.A. B.D. Prebendary of Wells

1925

Hereward Eyre Wake M.A. Prebendary of Wells

1934

Hugh Parnell M.A. Prebendary of Wells

1970

Raymond Dean B.A. Prebendary of Wells

1994

Robert Pitt

2003

Graham Witts M.A.

Read more: Incumbents

  • Hits: 1039

The Angels

The Angels

From the Palace of Whitehall
to the church of Burnham-on-Sea
via Westminster Abbey

Westminster Abbey

In 1698 Sir Christopher Wren was was appointed Surveyor of Westminster Abbey. In 1706 he suggested that the altar piece “might be placed with advantage” in the choir of the Abbey. With the agreement of Queen Anne the altar piece was reassembled in front of the medieval altar at Westminster Abbey.

The altar piece remained in place at Westminster Abbey until the Dean and Chapter removed them during 1820 in preparation for the approaching coronation of George IV in 1821 as they were thought to be out of place.

It was at this time the scupltures were offererd to Walker King who was at the time both the Bishop of Rochester and the vicar here at St. Andrew's Burnham-on-Sea.

The Palace of Whitehall

During his reign from 1633 to 1701 James II commissioned various changes to the Palace of Whitehall by Sir Christopher Wren. Among these changes was the building of a chapel which was finished in 1687. In pride of place in the chapel was an ornate altarpiece which stood some 12m tall, designed by Inigo Jones and carved by Grinling Gibbons and his assistant Arnold Quellin the younger, an Antwerp artist.

The commission which is understood to have cost the sum of £1875.1s 8d was thought by many to be too Catholic and affront to Protestant sensibilities. After James II left the throne the incoming William of Orange ordered the chapel and alterpiece be dismantled. The altarpiece was not however destroyed, being placed instead at Hampton Court where it was kept in storage.

Original Installation

When the altar piece first arrived in Burnham and up until the late 1830s the alar piece was installed behind the high altar, blocking the East window. The altar piece was later broken up, and when is displayed today is only the ramains of the grand altar piece.
Image taken from Survey of London: Volume 13, Part II

The Angels today

Relocation

The two large Angels have moved around the church a number of times over the years, the most recent being in 2010 where several pews were removed to create a more versitile space and allowing the angels to be displayed within the chancel.

The Cherubs

The cherubs in their current form were designed to appear to be bringing the decending from heaven with the Holy Bible. Originally the uppermost part of the altarpiece when it was installed in Westminster Abbey it appears the cherubs are not in their original form. It is thought that this part of the altarpiece was altered by Sir Christopher Wren when he installed the alterpiece in `Westminster Abbey.

The cherubs were found in an attic and have been restored and installed in the North gallery by the Wynn family along with a plaque in memory of William John and Louisa Wynn and their daughters who worshipped here 1900-1975.

Read More

For those interested in reading more a book is available for purchase from the church during any church watch session.

Back to History

Read more: The Angels

  • Hits: 1606